Thursday, September 18, 2008

McCain interview with Spanish Radio: McCain doesn't know who the Prime Minister of Spain is

John McCain either doesn't know who the Prime Minister of Spain is, thinks Spain is a country in Latin America, or possibly both. I knew yesterday was a bad day for the old man, but I guess it was even worse that I thought. Yesterday John McCain was interviewed on the Florida affiliate of Spanish radio network Union Radio and in the interview, McCain appeared not to know who the Prime Minister of Spain was and assumed he was some anti-American leftist leader from South America.

TPM:
After the interviewer presses him a couple times on the point and tries to focus him on the fact that Prime Minister Zapatero isn't from Mexico and isn't a drug lord, McCain comes back at her saying, "All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the Hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not. And that's judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region."

Then there's a moment of awkward pause before she says. "But what about Europe? I'm talking about the President of Spain."

McCain: "What about me, what?

Interviewer: "Are you willing to meet with him if you're elected president?"

McCain: "I am wiling to meet with any leader who is dedicated to the same principles and philosophy that we are for humans rights, democracy and freedom. And I will stand up to those who do not."

At this point, the interviewer gets tongue-tied presumably because she can't get over McCain not knowing what Spain is.

Well, so much for our NATO allies!!

No comments: